There are two things that put anyone’s breath on a standstill– emergencies and disasters. An inevitable part of life, responding to these situations can be the ultimate gauge to your survival. While you may have mastered the art of prepping for Armageddon, some instances may put you in dire situation leaving you with virtually nothing. With that in mind, it is only fitting to learn basic survival skills.
The techniques used by anyone to help sustain life in various types of environment, basic survival skills can actually be learned with the right mindset, training and attitude. Here are 10 must-have skills to ensure that you stay alive whenever, wherever.
1. Find Clean Water. While man can survive 3 weeks without food, 3 days without water can mark the end of human life. You need water for hydration and to keep your body from functioning normally. It is then, of utmost importance to learn how to find water sources as well as purifying technique. You can look up for flowing river or streams or cold springs. Some learn to collect morning dew or liquid from trees. Others simply learn how to make fire and boil water. It also pays to have a LifeStraw at home that you can simply grab when disaster comes without notice.
2. Shelter Creation. You will need to rest at some point. With this, the need to know how to create your own shelter is a must when planning to survive in the wild. You can find a cave or hollowed areas, but learning to make a debris hut or a scout pit and so on can spell the very essence of your survival. When creating one, always consider safety of location, insulation, and heat source.
3. Fire Making. While it’s easy to make fire with a match or a lighter, having none may put you at risk. Learning how to make fire is crucial in keeping the body or shelter warm, making potable water, cooking food, and in shooing away predators. Learning how to create fire by friction using anything available will make a great skill. Wearing this Relarr Multifunctional Paracord Survival Bracelet can be of help.
4. Gathering Food. While you can survive without food for 3 weeks, it is going to be a topsy-turvy ride to be out and about seeking out survival without proper nourishment. What better way to learn food-gathering skills than by knowing how to hunt or recognize edible crops and plants like cattail, conifers, grasses, and so on. Keep distance from those succulent berries though as some types can be poisonous. Study this list to learn more.
5. Environmentalist Skills. If you are not fond of learning about the outdoors, today is the perfect time. To be able to survive wherever Armageddon pushes you, it is essential to know about the environment, its impact to your survival techniques, and in going back to safety. There are quite a number of online sites that devote solely on providing knowledge on our natural sciences allowing you to identify and understand the many species critical to survival.
6. First Aid. You or a family member can get injured in the commotion. When out and about, the chances of infection to wounds, allergies to food, and other common maladies can be expected. While having a portable one like this Always Prepared First Aid Medical Kit can come handy, it is also essential to learn therapeutic plants available to handle your woes in an emergency.
7. Signaling/Rescue. Alone and injured with no idea where you are? Survival or rescue signaling is an important technique for you to consider. Learning how to create contrast between you and your surroundings. From rocks to leaves, making a bushfire or what-have-you, let your intelligence go to work in using whatever can be found in your current location to help others locate you with ease.
8. Self-Defense. Some doomsday scenario may put you in life-threatening situation. From assault to predator attacks, knowing how to defend yourself from an attacker requires training and a lot of common sense. When in a disastrous or emergency situation, it is also critical to be always on the lookout for any signs of incoming attack that may cause harm to you and your brood. You may want to consider bringing this NYKKOLA Black Metal Kubaton Keychain wherever you are.
9. Navigation. This skill is of utmost importance when facing disaster or emergency in the wild. It’s so easy to get lost out there. While it is imperative that you learn how to protect yourself, it also essential to learn how to navigate back to safety. Perhaps, wearing this BlueStraw Survival Bracelet Watch which comes with a compass can help get you back to safety in one piece.
10. Self-Control. Last but not least, your own attitude will ultimately spell the success–or failure– of your survival. Expert preppers suggest using the SPEAR (Stop, Plan, Execute, Assess and Re-evaluate) tactics to guarantee safety and security. When done accordingly, these basic survival skills can ultimately put you and your loved ones out of harm’s way.
All in all, it takes more than just preparing a bugout backpack to survive. The idea behind all these basic survival skills is to learn and master them before any disaster strikes. As always, it prepares to be prepared.