You want to cok up something to eat and suddenly, all your electrical appliances bailed out on you. So you try heading out for the nearest diner only to discover that your vehicle conked out. What to do when an purported EMP attack happens? With all these threats of detonating nukes at high altitude become almost too chilling not to ignore and everyone’s high dependency on anything electronic and electricity-driven aspects, it is essential to have a foolproof EMP survival plan to get out of this hellhole alive.
Here’s a must-have list that can spell between death and survival for you.
1. Take passive heating/cooling into account. You will need to keep a warm (or cool) environment to keep you from succumbing to hypothermia or heat stroke. Double check your current insulation system and see to it that the attic, roof, and floors have needed protection. Make sure windows are fitted tightly and storm doors installed– if not, simply upgrade your current door with this Emco Storm Door Closer Kit below.
It would also be wise to choose a single room, more like a “panic room” in your home that’s been weatherproofed, insulated and kept virtually impregnable by natural or man-made attacks. Do remember not to fully airtight your home though. Stoves and candles, which may be used during an EMP attack, can be deadly in an enclosed space.
Emco Storm Door Closer Kit
2. Pile up on easy-to-prepare yet nutritious food with long shelf life. Experts recommend that you stockpile on food in a consistent and constant manner. You can start collecting freeze-dried food like the Mountain House Pouch Kits below. These individually packed meals can help sustain your daily nutritional requirement and is quite easy to prepare– and has a shelf life of 20years or more. As much as possible, keep your pantry locked and secured. Looting and damaged to radiation can also happen.
Mountain House Pouch Kits
3. Your usual water source may also be compromised following an EMP attack. Chances are bottled water may also be a scarcity when news of an EMP blast hit the news. Before the city go into pandemonium, it is best to learn how to conserve water and proper storage as well as collection.
A garden hand pump that’s attached to a deep well (like the one below), can be your main source of water as many chemical filtration system may no longer be suitable for purifying water. Simply heat up water collected and voila! Distilled water for survival right at your hood. Take note: always keep water boiled to eliminate chemicals, bacteria and other radioactive substances.
Ridgeyard Shallow Well Pitcher Hand Pump
3. Your propane stoves will eventually run out of fuel. But heating up a meal or a drink is essential for your survival. Alternative ways to cook would be via ceramic gardening pots heated with a candle, a solar-powered cooker or wood-powered tin can stove. Emergency makeshift outdoor stove made of big rocks then, powered by wood and twigs or an underground stove is also a viable option. The idea is to have the right cookware though. You will need something durable to withstand extreme heat. Cast iron cookware, like this set below is a wise choice as it can be used even in off-grid dutch ovens.
BruntMor Ultimate Pre-Seasoned 2-In-1 Cast Iron Combo Cooker
4. Personal safety is another critical aspect that should not be taken for granted in plotting out an EMP survival plan. If gun ownership is allowed in your area, always have one tucked in your safe. If not, keep knives, pepper spray and other self-defense gear handy. This compact survival tool from Cos2Be, for example, have multiple uses. There will be chaos and people will get into drastic means to survive. As much as possible, learning Muay Thai, Karate or any of the discipline in Martial Arts will prove to be useful when an attack ensues.
Cos2be Survival Tool
5. Satellite links will be down leaving you groping in the dark for information. What used to be readily available with a swipe of your fingers on a tablet or smartphone can now be frustratingly non-existent. But the need to get in touch with the world and to navigate through all the chaos is a must to your survival. A good old compass and “walkie-talkie” like the Baofeng UV-8R 8-Watt Ham Radio can help get the updates you need.
Baofeng UV-8R 8-Watt Ham Radio
Formulating a foolproof EMP survival plan does not happen overnight. It takes time, practice and yes, money to be able to survive and thrive in a world in chaos. Do remember to include your family members specific needs when prepping particularly those with medical conditions or special needs. When done accordingly, you can finally sleep sound at night knowing that you got everything covered.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.